Not Ashamed ><>

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Rooting for the Laundry

I know it's cliché, but my Mom warned me about this. She really did. She actually warned me as a child about the dangers of letting myself become a Red Sox fan.

I was 9 years old in 1986, when the Red Sox were 1 strike away from breaking the 68 year old curse* that no one had even heard of until 4 years later. I had just played my first year of Little League. I watched every game I could that summer, which wasn't really that many, since we didn't have cable. I was highly impressionable as a new baseball fan. It was a tragically traumatizing experience.

I've had many favorite players over the years. Sadly, players come and go, but the true fans are still there, rooting for the laundry. The past couple of years, I've gone to Fort Myers for the week of St. Patrick's Day to take in a few baseball games and enjoy the Florida sun. This year, I had to forgo that trip due to the impending arrival of my son. Instead, we are joining a large contingent of Sox fans from the Sons of Sam Horn for Opening Day festivities in Arlington, TX. We actually have tickets to all 3 games of the series. Here is a look at the view from our seats.


*Disclaimer: No, I do not believe in curses and no, I can't stand Dan Shaughnessy.

4 Comments:

  • Grrr... I should have come to Texas next week so that I could have gone to the games with you. That would have rocked.

    By Blogger Chad Gardner, at 3:43 PM  

  • Indeed ... you're missin' out!

    By Blogger PiperMatt, at 3:48 PM  

  • You were treated to a gem by Beckett on Wednesday. Papelbon was nails, too! Right now I'm enjoying listening to the Sox throttle the Orioles. Good times.

    By Blogger Jason, at 6:26 PM  

  • I know it was only one outing, but man did Wells ever stink! After he got bludgeoned in his AAA rehab start, I predicted he'd stink last night, and sadly I'm apparently psychic.

    By Blogger Jason, at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home